Symptoms started the beginning of April when I noticed Molli becoming weaker/less active and she started moving much slower than usual. Then a couple of weeks later she stopped eating. I knew that wasn't a good sign. Took her in to the vet hoping it was just some joint pain, something easily fixable. However, to my disappointment, it was far worse a diagnosis. Dr. Beauchamp did an exam, took blood, ran an ultrasound and saw she was Anemic after a quick peek at her tongue and gums. They suspected cancer and referred me to the Central Texas Vet Specialty Hospital for a 2nd opinion and initial surgery options. In the meantime, I started her on steroids and pain meds. I just didn't want to believe it.
Tuesday, May 2nd
We visited Dr. Zacher and she did an exam and reviewed the initial ultrasound results. She wanted me to get another opinion with Dr. Theisen, who is the internist. She wasn't available until the next day. I walked out of there with a small bit of hope it may not be cancer, but that was just wishful thinking.
Wednesday, May 3rd
Dr. Theisen officially diagnosed Molli with Cancer after reviewing the initial tests the week before (blood and ultrasound), as well as her own exam and ultrasound results. The cancer was thought to be lymphoma. Surgery was not an option. The cancer had affected her spleen mostly (it's enlarged and infected with nodes) as well as her liver and another free floating mass in her abdomen. She was given about 1-4 months. She's was still on meds for pain and steroids which have made her feel comfortable and continue to eat. I decided to have the kids take a picture with her on this day as I soon knew there wouldn't be another opportunity.
Little did I know that exactly one week later, she would be gone. She went downhill pretty fast. She had a hard time getting up, moving, or walking outside to get to the yard to go to the bathroom. Although she was still eating a little, I saw that she was uncomfortable and wasn't getting any better. She enjoyed a puppachino and McDonald's. She started to look swollen in the belly area indicating some fluid or blood, which is not good. She started to have more issues breathing so we decided it was time. The kids said goodbye to her on Tuesday evening (5/9) and we told them what was going to happen and they seemed to take it well and understand although still sad.
Wednesday, May 10th
The vet came to the house which was nice so Molli would be comfortable in her environment. And in typical golden fashion, Molli lifted up her head and wagged her tail to say hello to the vet when she approached her. It went by so quickly and painless for her and at 2:05pm she was gone. Brad sniffed her as she left. I'm not sure he understands what has happened, but I know he will miss her.
I took some pics of her this last week to remember her in her last days. In some of them she even looks like she is smiling.
Aside from being utterly adorable, Molli loved cheese, chewing sticks, tearing the stuffing out of toys, playing outside, sticking her head out of the car window, loved snow and the cold weather, and in her younger years, chasing tennis balls then eating the fuzz off of it and chasing and popping balloons. She loved catching and eating flies that got in the house and was quite good at it. As she grew older, she loved just laying outside observing all the wonderful sights and smells around her. She also got a brother, Brad. She enjoyed spending time with him over the last 2 1/2 years. As a retriever, she wasn't too fond of water or swimming.
Here are some pics of Molli in her younger years.....
1/24/06 - 5/10/17

































1 comment:
Goodbye Molli you were such a sweet and loving dog!!! You will be missed. So sad. Great pics in memory of you!!!!
Post a Comment